BARNABY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1352448
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
BARNABY FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARNABY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352448 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 16:33:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARNABY FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Rishangles
National Grid Reference:
TM 16834 68007

Details

RISHANGLES TM 16 NE 4/43 Barnaby Farmhouse - II Farmhouse. C16, in 2 or more phases, a service wing to rear forming L-shape plan. Front range has parallel rear addition of 1948. Timber framed and plastered, the ground floor of the facade cased in whitewashed brick. Pantiled roof except inner slope of rear wing which is plaintiled. The roof at the junction of the 2 sections shows signs of alteration. 2 storeys with attic in front range. 3 windows, old casements to first floor, mid C20 casements under segmental arches to ground floor. Mid C20 panelled entrance door. External stack, probably C17, against left gable end. Service wing has various casement windows and an internal stack with plain red brick shaft. Maid room in front range has cross-beamed ceiling, the bridging beam with evidence for short braces to the wallposts; very heavy, closely-spaced plain joists. Open fireplace in gable end. Chamber above has some good studding in rear wall and long solid braces to the central tie beam. Roof over this section is a replacement of c.1700. Right hand room of front range is entered by a 4-centre arched doorway with leaf-carved spandrels, apparently in situ. Open fireplace with mutilated embattled lintol. About 1 metre behind the stack is a bridging beam with broach stop-chamfers. Upper floor has plain studding. 3-bay chamber behind stack with 2 cambered open tie beams, one arched-braced, the other with no evidence for bracing. Wind-braced clasped purlin roof.

Listing NGR: TM1683468007

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281324
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].