LANCHESTER ANTIQUES OLD HOUSE THE GABLES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1352462
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
LANCHESTER ANTIQUES, 21, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
OLD HOUSE, 23, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
THE GABLES, 25, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LANCHESTER ANTIQUES
OLD HOUSE
THE GABLES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352462 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 15:38:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
LANCHESTER ANTIQUES, 21, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
OLD HOUSE, 23, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
THE GABLES, 25, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Debenham
National Grid Reference:
TM 17398 63276

Details

DEBENHAM HIGH STREET (east side) TM 16 SE 6/88 No.21 (Lanchester 9.12.55 Antiques), No.23 (Old House), No.25 (The Gables) (formerly listed as Premises adjoining Holmland on S. side)

GV II*

2 houses and shop. Originally a high quality open hall house of late C15 with contemporary solar and commercial cross-wings to right. Service end to left is of c.1600. Rear wings of late C16 and C18. Timber framed with smooth render. A little studding and part of the hall window is exposed at the rear. Plaintiled roof. 2 storeys, part with attic. Cross-wings are end-jettied to street on original thick brackets. Mainly sash windows with glazing bars. Solar wing has a 3-light canted bay to ground floor. To left is a shopfront of c.1900. No.23 has a lobby entrance with mid C20 half-glazed door under a flat hood. No.25 has a 6-panel door. 3 flat-roofed dormers. Heavy internal stack with 4 detached octagonal shafts, the caps missing, rebuilt 1987 in modified form. Small C19 stack against side wall of right cross-wing. C18 wing to rear of shop is roughcast-rendered and roofed with glazed black pantiles; a good ogee-headed window with decorative glazing. Interior. Main components of frame exposed on upper floor, the structure otherwise largely concealed. Hollow-chamfered cambered tie beam over former open hall, the braces missing. It supports a fine octagonal crown-post with moulded base and cap and 4-way bracing at the head. The roof timbers over the hall are mostly concealed. Tie beam over solar has mortices for heavy arched braces; intact roof above with moulded octagonal crown-post. A solar window, briefly exposed when the front was re-rendered, has traceried lights. The end cross-wing was open to the street beneath the jetty and the ground floor had a commercial function; the roof over the chamber above has a further moulded octagonal crown-post. In mid C16 the open hall was floored over and a stack built at the upper end. The parlour fireplace lintol has a late C16 painted design of foliage and flowers in decorative panels, in white, pink and red on a black ground. The parlour ceiling has particularly fine mid C17 plasterwork. There is a central beam with running vine foliage and 4 panels with wavy foliage borders; each panel contains a bold wreath enclosing a Tudor rose and 4 surrounding motifs. This is the most substantial medieval house in the village.

Listing NGR: TM1739863276

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281512
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/06087/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Routen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].