Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352478.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 04:29:28.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 07008 66923


COTTON CHURCH ROAD TM 06 NE 2/15 Church of St Andrew 29.7.55



Parish church. C14 with C15 clerestorey. Restoration of 1890 (tower) and 1903. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Flint rubble with stone dressings; the chancel and south aisle are rendered. Nave and aisle roofs leaded, the chancel plaintiled. Square 3-stage tower with embattled parapet. West face has heavy angle buttresses, between which is a very tall arched opening, said to be of later date, to light the 3-light west nave window (renewed). Above is a group of 3 trefoil-headed niches, with single niches at this level to north and south. 2-light belfry openings with large louvres of 1890. 5-bay aisles have good original 2-light windows; 3-light windows to east, one renewed. Very fine south doorway: jambs have 3 orders of shafts with foliage capitals; moulded arch, the central order comprising a richly- carved band of foliage; the hoodmould is enriched with similar foliage, and has one large but mutilated corbel. The carving of the arch retains much original colour. Fine original traceried doors. Good porch: flushwork panels each side of entrance with remains of more elaborate flushwork above. Moulded arch with foliage capitals. Intact 2-light side windows. 9-bay clerestorey has 2-light windows divided by square flushwork panels. 3-bay chancel: 2- light segmental-headed side windows, largely original; hoodmoulds with finials, linked to form a string course. 5-light east window, the tracery renewed. East end has flanking crocketted pinnacles below which are cusped ogee niches.

INTERIOR: 5-bay arcades have quatrefoil piers and moulded capitals. Similar chancel arch, the capitals mutilated. Fine late C15 nave roof in 10 bays, with alternate double hammer-beam and arched-braced trusses; much enrichment, including brattishing, some of it renewed. Easternmost bay boarded as canopy of honour. Aisle roofs largely renewed. Boarded chancel ceiling, the roof also renewed. Fine piscina with enriched arch; a similar triple arch over the adjoining drop-sill sedilia is only one-third complete. In north aisle is an ogee-arched tomb recess. Font has octagonal bowl with trefoil-arched panels; around the stem, which is not contemporary with the bowl, are 8 human figures. Nave retains 14 simple medieval benches with flat ends; one C15 bench has good carved poppyhead ends. Early C17 carved pulpit and turned altar rails. Some medieval stained glass, notably in the heads of 4 north clerestorey windows. For further notes see Pevsner and church guide by Roy Tricker.

Listing NGR: TM0700866923


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974)
Tricker, R, Guide to the Church of St Andrew Cotton


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/15349/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hubert Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].