1-4, CHURCH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352498

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: 1-4, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 1-4, CHURCH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352498 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 22:58:55.

Location

Statutory Address: 1-4, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford

National Grid Reference: TM 12705 66743

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD CHURCH STREET TM 16 NW 3/122 Nos. 1-4 (incl) -

GV II 4 cottages. An early-mid C16 house, with earlier work to left, probably included in a bequest to the parish by William Redham in 1553. Parish Poor House in C17, converted into almshouses in C18. 3 of the dwellings are now in private ownership. Timber framed, the front wall rebuilt in red brick in mid C18, the remainder rendered. Roof of concrete pantiles. Main block 2 storeys and attic; 1½-storey earlier section to left, l½-storey and one-storey in-line additions to right. Upper floor has a range of 4 C18 2-light casement windows with diamond-leaded panes. On ground floor, 2-light windows of c.1900, each light with a single horizontal glazing bar, under segmental arches. 1½-storey sections each have one raking dormer with windows as ground floor. 5 doorways, all with semi-glazed boarded doors. Old stack set against rear wall, the shaft partly rebuilt and enlarged; 2 other stacks are probably C18 additions. Interior. Main range has heavy studding with reversed braces, fully exposed in No.4. Heavy tie beam braces. Chamfered-joist ceiling in No.4, fully roll-moulded bridging beams in Nos. 2 & 3, the joists plastered over. Open fireplace against rear wall, mostly within No.3: this is a later introduction. Old attic stair at rear of No.4. Clasped purlin roof with arched wind bracing. Earlier work to left: good close studding with remains of diamond-mullioned gable window; plain joists with original trimming for a stair; clasped purlin roof.

Listing NGR: TM1270566743

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 281707

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing