WILLOW HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352531

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: WILLOW HALL, NORWICH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WILLOW HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352531 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 14:21:09.

Location

Statutory Address: WILLOW HALL, NORWICH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Thwaite

National Grid Reference: TM 11633 68440

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THWAITE NORWICH ROAD TM 16 NW 3/91 Willow Hall (formerly 29.7.55 listed as Willow Farmhouse and barn)

-- II Farmhouse, at one time an inn. C15 core with considerable early C17 additions (2 phases) and remodelling. Renovated from dereliction in 1970's when some of frame renewed. A main range parallel to the road with a long cross-wing to left. Matching gable to right of road frontage is a later alteration. Timber framed and rendered; exposed first floor studding, mainly to front, the gable end of the wing with serpentine braces. Plaintiled roof. 2 storeys; small attic at rear of wing. Continuous jetty to road, supported on jowled posts and 2 later timber columns. Rear section of wing, roofed at right angles to remainder, has jettied gables with moulded tie beams and carved console brackets supporting the ends of the wallplates. Mainly reproduction-style windows of 1970's, with ovolo mullions. Main range has internal stack with rebuilt sawtooth shaft. One-storey entrance addition to north of wing. Interior. Front 2 bays of wing comprise former open hall: inserted ceiling has chamfered main beam with leaf-carved stops and chamfered joists. A narrower ceiling bay immediately to the east probably denotes the position of a timber flue. Original roof lost. Remainder of wing is early C17: ovolo ceiling beams at east end, 2 original upper windows to south, butt purlin roof. Later stack against gable end; ground floor fireplace has a good re- used C16 lintol with embattled ornament and brattishing. In early-mid C17 the hall was enlarged and a new parlour built to the south, with a stack between. In front of stack, 2 doorways have ovolo-moulded frames and good moulded doors. At rear of stack is a newel stair. In parlour chamber is an indistinct inscription of 1649 painted on the plaster lining of the roof.

Listing NGR: TM1163368440

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 281676

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing