CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1352566
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, BECCLES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352566 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 06:20:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, BECCLES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Holton
National Grid Reference:
TM 40256 77875

Details

HOLTON BECCLES ROAD TM 4077 8/14 Church of St. Peter 1.9.53 II*

Parish church. Medieval; considerably restored 1856-7, when the north aisle was added. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle, south porch. Flint rubble with stone dressings; small remains of old plaster on the south chancel wall; the north aisle is faced with knapped flint. Plaintiled roofs. C12 round tower with a later bell-chamber stage of brick and flint rubble, with a red brick crenellated parapet. There are original semi-circular headed lancet windows at 3 levels, the upper range of 8 (alternate ones now blocked) being the original bell-chamber level. The later stage has louvred bell-chamber openings to each quarter. C12 core to nave, the south wall re-faced in C19 and with 3 C19 pointed lancet windows. Fine C12 south nave doorway, unusually call: one order of colonnettes with scallop-carved cushion capitals and cable- moulded shaft rings; the arch has an outer ring of scallops and 2 orders of roll-moulding. Above the doorway is a C12 carved panel depicting an animal in profile. C15 porch, considerably restored but with its original arched-braced roof. Above the entrance is an ogee-headed niche within which is a C19 statue of St. Peter. 2-bay chancel with 2-light C15 windows and a Priest's doorway; C19 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. The north aisle extends almost the full length of the nave and chancel and has lancet windows. Interior 3-bay nave arcade, 2-bay chancel arcade; the chancel aisle is used as the organ chamber and vestry. 5-bay arch-braced nave roof, probably C15 but altered and rebuilt at a lower level in mid C19. 3-bay arched-braced chancel roof, the main trusses C15, otherwise much renewed. Early C15 octagonal font, the bowl with foiled panels carved with alternate blank shields and flowers; the bowl is supported by 8 carved heads and the stem has 8 colonnettes. Simple pointed-arch piscina in south sanctuary. Mid C19 furnishings. Arms of George III over tower arch. The east window has stained glass by Kempe, dated 1899.

Listing NGR: TM4025677875

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281973
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16733/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].