CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1352577
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352577 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 00:55:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Carlton Colville
National Grid Reference:
TM 51000 90143

Details

CARLTON COLVILLE CHURCH LANE TM 59 SW 1/10 Church of St. Peter -

- II*

Parish church. Medieval tower, the remainder largely rebuilt 1884 in Decorated style. Nave, chancel (with organ chamber), west tower, south porch, north vestry. Random flint (mainly knapped) with stone admixture; stone dressings. Plaintiled roofs. Square tower, largely C14, although the lower portion (with a lancet west window) may be earlier; 3-stage diagonal buttresses to west; 2-light bell-chamber openings; crenellated parapet with flushwork. 4-bay nave with mainly Decorated style windows; at the west end are 2 2-light windows in Perpendicular style (south) and a renewed C12 window (north). The porch and vestry are entirely of 1883-4. 3-bay chancel with 2- light windows, some perhaps re-used; 3-light east window. Interior. Scissor- braced rafter roof to nave, boarded wagon roof to chancel, both late C19. In the south sanctuary is a piscina with cusped ogee arch. C15 carved octagonal font on a 2-stepped base: 4 lions against the stem, angels to the underside of the bowl, and alternate angels and lions on the bowl panels. Graded II* for medieval work, principally the tower and font.

Listing NGR: TM5100090143

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
282039
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00422/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David W. Collins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].