CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1352590
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352590 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 11:58:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Sotherton
National Grid Reference:
TM 44122 79484

Details

SOTHERTON TM 47 NW 6/38 Church of St. Andrew 1.9.53

GV II*

Parish church. Rebuilt 1854 in Decorated style, incorporating material from the previous medieval building. Nave, chancel, south porch, north vestry. Random flint rubble with stone dressings; plaintiled roofs. 3-bay nave with 2-light windows; at the west end is a simple gabled stone bellcote. 2-bay chancel. Interior. Good C15 7-bay arched-braced nave roof with enriched cornice; the roof was re-framed in mid C19 when the angels at the foot of each wallpost were added. The north and south nave walls have arched recesses, probably C14 but much restored. The north recess contains a good late C13 recumbent stone effigy of a knight, said to be Walter de Bernham. C15 octagonal font: the panels of the bowl are carved with alternate blank shields and flowers, with fleuron-enriched borders, and are unusually well preserved; the stem, supported by 4 lions, is in similar condition but may be a C19 copy of the original. Early C17 pyramidal font cover with pierced finial. The vestry door incorporates 2 fine painted panels with gesso work, said to be from the former rood screen; they show St. John the Evangelist and St. Mary Magdalene.

Listing NGR: TM4412279484

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281997
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/10713/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Angela Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].