REMAINS OF COLLEGE AT METTINGHAM CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352601

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jun-1986

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF COLLEGE AT METTINGHAM CASTLE, CASTLE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF COLLEGE AT METTINGHAM CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352601 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 11:18:16.

Location

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF COLLEGE AT METTINGHAM CASTLE, CASTLE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney (District Authority)

Parish: Mettingham

National Grid Reference: TM 36012 88646

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

METTINGHAM CASTLE ROAD TM 38 NE 4/19 Remains of College at Mettingham Castle 1-9-53 ( formerly listed with Mettingham Castle) - II The ruins of a monastic college, sited to the south of the castle (see Item 4/18), in a small moated enclosure inside the main castle moat. The castle premises were conveyed to the college in 1382, which at that time was sited at Raveningham in Norfolk; the move to Mettingham was not completed until 1393. There are several substantial sections of flint rubble walls with red brick dressings, some with original window openings. The lower part of a square tower has lancet window openings. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology, Vol.4, pp.77-89. Scheduled Ancient Monument (County No.70).

Listing NGR: TM3601288646

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 282170

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History' in Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History, , Vol. 4, (), 77-89

End of official listing