CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1352637

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352637 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 10:41:32.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Waveney (District Authority)

Parish: Corton

National Grid Reference: TM 53844 98062

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CORTON CHURCH LANE TM 59 NW 2/11 Church of St. Bartholomew 27.11.54 II* Parish church. Medieval; in ruins by C17, with partial restoration during C18, C19 and C20. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch; the only parts in use are the chancel and the easternmost bay of the nave, although at the time of survey (June 1985) further accommodation was under construction within the shell of the nave. Flint rubble, the lower parts of the tower and chancel faced with knapped flint; stone dressings. Pantiled roof. C15 square tower, quite tall: diagonal buttresses with 3 off-sets and a crenellated parapet enriched with flushwork panels. Original 3-light west window, now blocked; square pierced stone openings at ringing chamber level; belfry openings with missing tracery. The C14 3-bay nave had Perpendicular-style windows, now missing except in the eastern bay where they have been renewed. Original moulded doorways to north and south. C15 porch, much restored in C20. Good C14 chancel: tall 2-light side windows in the Decorated style, with reticulated tracery motifs; large 5-light east window. Interior. The part of the church in use was re-roofed in 1870. In the south nave are the rood loft stairs and a simple piscina. In the chancel is a combined piscina and triple sedilia with crocketted ogee arches: this was installed early C20 and incorporates part of the original discovered in a nearby house. Well- preserved octagonal font of c.1500, the panels of the bowl carved alternately with lions and with angels bearing shields; angels to the bowl underside and 4 lions against the stem. Stone reredos installed 1913, incorporating some medieval work. A C14 carved cross from the east gable is stored inside the chancel.

Listing NGR: TM5384498062

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 282362

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing