DARCY LEVER VIADUCT OVER THE RIVER TONGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1352681
Date first listed:
05-Apr-2002
Statutory Address:
DARCY LEVER VIADUCT OVER THE RIVER TONGE, RADCLIFFE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of DARCY LEVER VIADUCT OVER THE RIVER TONGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352681 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 14:10:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
DARCY LEVER VIADUCT OVER THE RIVER TONGE, RADCLIFFE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SD7326508312

Details



797-1/0/10004 05-APR-02

RADCLIFFE ROAD Darcy Lever Darcy Lever Viaduct over the River Tonge

II

Darcy Lever viaduct, Bolton

Railway viaduct. 1848 (piers), for the Manchester and Leeds (Liverpool and Bury) Railway, 1881-2 (spans) for the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, c1958 (deck) for British Railways. Wrought iron and coursed squared rock faced limestone. Eight span viaduct with tall stone piers over the valley of the River Tonge. The spans are deep wrought iron girders, four double Warren girders under the tracks and lighter lattice face girders, these last may date from 1848. History: This line was opened by the L&YR in 1848, having just taken over the M&LR, who had themselves absorbed the L&BR which had started out building the line between Bolton and Bury. The decking was replaced by pre-cast concrete in 1958. The line was closed to passenger traffic in 1951 and completely in 1970. References: Bill Simpson, Railways in and around Bolton, Foxline Publishing, 1990, pl 84. Alan Earnshaw, The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, Book Law Publications, pps 98-9. C.Awdry, Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies, Patrick Stephens Limited, 1990.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
489720
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Awdry, C, Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies, (1990)
Earnshaw, A, The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Then and Now, (1992)
Simpson, B, Railways in and around Bolton, (1990)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].