CIVIC CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352691

Date first listed: 05-Apr-2002

Statutory Address: CIVIC CENTRE, LE MANS CRESCENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CIVIC CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352691 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 23:46:21.

Location

Statutory Address: CIVIC CENTRE, LE MANS CRESCENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SD7150109131

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LE MANS CRESCENT 797-1/0/10009 Civic Centre

II

Civic ensemble, comprised of library, museum and art gallery, magistrates court and central police station. 1931-1939, with late C20 alterations. By Bradshaw, Hope and Gass, architects, of Bolton, for Bolton Borough Council. Ashlar gritstone and red brick walling on a steel frame, with flat concrete roof structure embellished by a false mansard roof covered with Westmorland slate. PLAN: near symmetrical plan, the central element of which is an east-facing crescent designed to form the setting for the late C19 town hall to the east. The north and south ends of the crescent widen to form rectangular blocks which accommodate the main functional spaces of the complex. EXTERIOR: EAST ELEVATION: 2 storeys above basement, with crescent -shaped frontage extending from triple-semi-circular arched gateway to centre. Each side of the central arch are attached stepped piers supporting lanterns with flagpoles. Inscribed plaques at the bases record the commencement of works in 1932 and the opening of the 'Civic Centre' in June 1939. Flanking the gateway are paired pilasters framing pedestrial doorways. Extending outwards from gateway are 13-bay curved frontages rising from channelled ashlar basement walls set behind ashlar balustrading. Tall rectangular ground floor windows and square upper floor openings in moulded ashlar surrounds. Unmoulded frieze and cornice below parapet balustrading, behind which rises the false mansard roof. At each end, taller entrance blocks rise above the crescent mansard and terminate the elevation. Each has a curved frontage framed by paired pilasters and between which are set tall Ionic columns which flank the principal entrances to the complex. These have stepped approaches, and double doors within moulded surrounds set back behind the columns. SOUTH ELEVATION: 14 bay return elevation reflects the detail of the main east front in plainer form, with slightly advanced end bays with framing pilasters. Between, 12 bays below a low, solid parapet, and the basement floor behind railings set between low piers. The elevation is linked to the east front by means of an angled bay with a tall semi-circular arch-headed niche with inset window. NORTH ELEVATION: 8 bays beyond angled bay with bays 1 and 7 advanced between pilasters and additional set-back bay to west end with angled bay returning to long rear elevation extending full length of complex. Angled link with east front, as at south end. WEST ELEVATION: Long rear elevation with central archway, and flanking ranges. At north end, long wedge-shaped service range single storeyed and rising to 2 storeys towards centre with return range, arched over narrow courtyard linking with main rear elevation. INTERIOR: Much of the complex retains its original plan form, with museum, library and court interiors well- preserved, albeit modified in certain areas. Circulation spaces, lobbies and spiral stairs are handsomely detailed and executed in high quality materials. There is an abundance of original fittings and joinery of equally high quality.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 489724

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing