7, 8 AND 9, DEANERY PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1352698

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1991

Statutory Address: 7, 8 AND 9, DEANERY PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 7, 8 AND 9, DEANERY PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352698 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 14:21:03.

Location

Statutory Address: 7, 8 AND 9, DEANERY PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Waverley (District Authority)

Parish: Godalming

National Grid Reference: SU 96820 43960

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DEANERY PLACE SU 9643 NE (south side) 12/91 Nos 7, 8 and 9 II

Welden house now 3 dwellings. C15 with alterations C16, C17, C19 and C20. Stuccoed and rendered brick, scored as ashlar at front, concealing timber frames; plain tile roof. Originally 4 bays with central 2-bay, open hall and jettied storeyed end bays; hall partially floored in later C16 leaving smoke bay to bay 2; chimney added and fully-floored C17; jetties removed and the whole refronted early- mid C19. Road front: 2 storeys, three 1st-floor windows. 3 doorways, those to nos 8 and 9 (left and centre bays) paired, each having 6-panel door with knocker, architrave with reeded pilasters, and bracketed canopy. Nos 8 and 9 each have a sash with glazing bars to ground floor and an unequally-hung 9-pane sash above; no 7 has a sash to each floor; all windows in reveals with projecting sills, the lst- floor windows breaking into stepped, dentilled eaves. Roof hipped on left with external stack at left end and another in front roof pitch between right-hand bays. Rear additions not of special interest. Interior: of no 7 has exposed timber framing. Interiors of nos 8 and 9 not inspected, but reported to contain former central hall truss which has hollow-chamfered arch braces with run-out stops to chamfered tie-beam which has peg holes probably from former crown post; curved braces in former end walls of hall; in no 8 inserted stop-chamfered spine- beam ending on left in chamfered cross-beam, the area beyond this orginally left open as smoke bay. In 1976 work on the front of no 9 revealed large-scantling carved braces on ground floor. Domestic Buildings Research Group, Report No 1285.

Listing NGR: SU9682543960

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 291362

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Domestic Buildings Research Group Report' in Report Number 1285, ()

End of official listing