CHANTICLEER RESTAURANT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1352721
Date first listed:
18-Dec-1947
Date of most recent amendment:
01-Feb-1991
Statutory Address:
CHANTICLEER RESTAURANT, 135, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHANTICLEER RESTAURANT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352721 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 10:04:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHANTICLEER RESTAURANT, 135, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Waverley (District Authority)
Parish:
Godalming
National Grid Reference:
SU 96800 43760

Details

GODALMING HIGH STREET SU 9643 NE (south side) 12/120 No 135 (Chanticleer Restaurant ) (formerly listed as 59a) 18.12.47 GV II

House, now restaurant. c.1830 with mid C19 extension. Yellow stock brick in Flemish bond, addition of Bargate rubblestone with red-brick dressings. Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys, 2 bays, with 2-storey rear addition. On right steps up to door of 6 raised and fielded panels with overlight having decorative radial glazing bars; doorcase has fluted attached columns and console brackets below bracketed hood; above, on each floor, a sash with glazing bars in reveal with gauged brick arch and projecting stone sill. Left bay has full-height canted bay window having sashes with glazing bars, stuccoed plinth scored as ashlar and recessed panels below upper windows. Eaves band. Hipped oversailing roof on paired modillion brackets. Rear: addition has a sash with glazing bars under wedge lintel to each floor. Left return: front range has a tripartite window to 1st and 2nd floors, with a 12-pane sash flanked by 4-pane sashes, and eaves detailing returned from front. Rear range has 1st-floor window as before on right, and on left a tall, narrow, wood-lintelled opening, now blocked.

Listing NGR: SU9680143758

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
291398
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01175/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr F Jack Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].