THE MONASTERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1352789
Date first listed:
12-Oct-1951
Statutory Address:
THE MONASTERY, CONDUIT HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MONASTERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1352789.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 06:14:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MONASTERY, CONDUIT HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Rother (District Authority)
Parish:
Rye
National Grid Reference:
TQ 92167 20490

Details

1. 1578 CONDUIT HILL

The Monastery TQ 9220 1/98 12.10.51.

II

2. This building is now a pottery. It is the remains of the Chapel of the Austin Friary dating from about 1380. The walls are of stone rubble with stone dressings. There are buttresses at the south west and north west angles. In the south wall are 3 C14 windows containing 3 trefoil ogee-headed lights and leaf tracery above. In the west wall is the pointed arch of a window and in the east gable, which dates from the C16, a square-headed window containing 2 elliptically-arched lights. The windows in the north wall were inserted in 1906. Scheduled as an AM.

Listing NGR: TQ9215720488

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
291942
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03750/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Fuller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].