MALLING DEANERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1353012
Date first listed:
25-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
MALLING DEANERY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MALLING DEANERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353012 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 05:48:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
MALLING DEANERY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Lewes (District Authority)
Parish:
Lewes
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
TQ 41307 10938

Details

TQ 41 SW LEWES CHURCH LANE 3/502 (south side) Malling 25.2.52 Malling Deanery

GV II*

House, now divided. Circa 1660, possibly encasing earlier building. Red with some blue brick and red brick dressings. Red brick pilasters, set back at angles to allow rusticated red brick quoins. Modillioned wooden eaves cornice to steeply-pitched hipped plain tiled roof. 4 hipped dormers and tall brick ridge stacks with arched sides and oversailing cornices. to left of centre and at right end. 2 stacks on each side to rear also. U-plan with deep recess to rear. 2 storeys and attics. 7 bay north front, glazing bar sashes with painted lintels, the later eighteenth century replacements for cross-windows. Tripartite sash in third bay from right on ground floor. Projecting porch in third bay from left with flat head and parapet. Triangular pediment over round-arched door-surround. Panelled door. Later C18 rounded bow on lefthand return front. Interior: One room with later C17 foliate plaster ceiling of ramified oval form. Three-flight staircase with early C17 openwork splat balusters and closed string.

Listing NGR: TQ4130710938

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
293009
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14749/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Mary Allison. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].