MARKET TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1353073

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: MARKET TOWER, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARKET TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353073 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 13:17:43.

Location

Statutory Address: MARKET TOWER, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes (District Authority)

Parish: Lewes

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: TQ 41591 10170

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 4110 SE LEWES HIGH STREET 10/250 (north side)

25.2.52 Market Tower

GV II

Market tower. 1792. Red and brown brick with stone bands and window dressings. Plat bands over each floor on tower and crenellated parapet. 4 storey tower with lower and narrower 2 storey side wings. Diagonal buttresses to first and second floors of tower, cut back in squinches at their bases. Round-headed window with Y-tracery at third floor level with clock below on second floor and 2 quatrefoil windows on first floor with swagged crest above and plaque below. Round-arched gateway on ground-floor with stone key and impost-blocks. 2 storey, single window wings with crow-stepped gables. Terracotta-dressed 3-light windows with cusped arched lights. The Town Bell 'Gabriel', 'new cast in 1555' and originally hung in the tower of the old Church of St Nicholas which stood on the site of the war memorial (q.v.), was removed on the demolition of the tower in 1761 and placed in the new tower in 1792. The crest, of terracotta, shows the Town Arms, and has been attributed to Jonathan Harmer of Heathfield.

Listing NGR: TQ4159110170

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 293232

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing