EAST CLIFF HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1353154
Date first listed:
14-Sep-1976
Statutory Address:
EAST CLIFF HOUSE, 74, ALL SAINTS STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of EAST CLIFF HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353154 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 00:23:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
EAST CLIFF HOUSE, 74, ALL SAINTS STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Hastings (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 82593 09518

Details

ALL SAINTS' STREET 1. 5204 (East Side) No 74 (East Cliff House) TQ 8209 NE 8/74 II GV 2. At one time the house of Edward Capel, Shakespearian critic and friend of David Garrick. A tablet on the house records that Garrick frequently stayed here with Edward Capel. Built circa 1762, altered subsequently. Side facing All Saints' Street, cement rendered of little interest, but has quite fine doorway, recessed in arch, flanked by Doric pilasters, large fanlight with lantern in middle. Front to Parade has projecting late Victorian shop front (very much altered) forming a terrace to the old house above of circa 1762 and largely intact: ground floor rusticated stucco with voussoirs. 2 storeys. Upper floor yellow stock brick. Tiled hipped roof. Stone modillion cornice and parapet. Ground floor centre of 3 arched windows between 2-storeyed canted bay windows. 1st floor centre of 3 French windows, between end bay windows, with cast-iron balcony. Centre lst floor window in moulded shouldered architrave, front of 1st floor of bay window with moulded architraves with aprons. To left and right of front set back slightly, 2 storeys, one bay wide, red brick, sashes without glazing bars, hipped tiled roofs. Rendered chimney stacks. Interior: good staircase of the period.

All the listed buildings in All Saints' Street form a group. Also No 74 form a group with No 2 and Lavender House Rock-a-Nore Road (No 2 is a building of local interest.

Listing NGR: TQ8259309518

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
293668
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].