Michelham Priory


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Michelham Priory, Milton Hide


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353289.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2021 at 08:46:54.


Statutory Address:
Michelham Priory, Milton Hide

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Sussex
Wealden (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 55888 09319


TQ 50 NE 18/502



I A Priory for Augustinian Canons, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was founded here by Gilbert de Aquila in 1229. It was dissolved in 1536. Edward I spent the night of the 14th September, 1302 here. The surviving building is T-shaped, the east and north wings dating from the C13, the west wing from the C16 after the Dissolution.

The building is of stone, the east wing being sandstone.Tiled roof. Two storeys and attic, except the north wing which has three storeys and attic. The south front has nine windows and six modern dormers. Two chimney breasts, one extending down to the ground, the other corbelled out above the ground floor with a pointed doorway below this. Casement windows with stone mullions and dripstones, those in the east wing eing modern. This wing was the Refectory. Its south face has three blocked pointed arches at first floor level and on the ground floor. One similar archway and one four-centred doorway. Its north face has four blocked pointed archways together on the ground floor, two with slender shafts having foliated capitals and deeply chamfered heads. These were the Lavatory.

The north wing, which originally extended further north and has been cut off, was the Prior's Lodging. It has a blocked pointed archway on the ground floor and three similar window openings above containing modern windows. The ground floor room which it contains is a vaulted under-croft. Some masonry further north shows the point to which this wing extended. The north face of the west wing has larger windows and a stone dormer.

Listing NGR: TQ5589309322


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Sussex County Magazine' in Sussex County Magazine, , Vol. 2, (), 2
'Country Life' in 23 March, (1935)
'Sussex Archaeological Collection' in Sussex Archaeological Collection, (), 129
'Sussex Archaeological Collection' in Sussex Archaeological Collection, (), 1


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03864/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Nash. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].