Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353299.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2021 at 00:54:22.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Sussex
Wealden (District Authority)
East Dean and Friston
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
TV 54848 98840


FRISTON JEVINGTON ROAD 1. 5208 Friston Place TV 59 NW 27/24 13.10.52


2. This house was originally called Beechington. The oldest portion was built by the Potman family in the early C15. Later in the C15 it passed to the Selwyn family who occupied it until 1704. It was altered and enlarged by them in the C16 and C17. It is a timber-framed building but the timbering with plaster infilling is only exposed in the north wall. The majority of the building is now faced with flints with stone quoins. Tiled roof. Casement windows with stone mullions. Three storeys. The south front has 6 windows irregularly placed and a chimney breast of flints with stone quoins. Two similar chimney breasts on the north wall. The east or entrance front dates from the mid C17 when the house was extended a few feet in this direction. Red brick. Stringcourse above each floor. Four windows. Four gables with carved bargeboards. Casement windows with wooden mullions and transoms. The first window bay from the right projects and was built out beyond the original doorway, which is now inside the house but retains its old hinge and a bar running into a slot. Over the outer doorway are stones with the initials and dates "T.S,1613" and "P.S.1634". These date-stones were actually removed from the Stables and inserted in this front by J A Maitland about 1896. But the east front of the house probably was built about this time by Thomas Selwyn, who died in 1613, or by his grandson Frederick Selwyn, who died in 1664. The Hall to the left of the main entrance in the east front has a king-post roof. One room has wall paintings.

Listing NGR: TV5484898840


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].