THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1353416
Date first listed:
30-Aug-1966
Statutory Address:
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, WARBLETON

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353416 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-May-2019 at 10:44:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, WARBLETON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Wealden (District Authority)
Parish:
Warbleton
National Grid Reference:
TQ 60888 18196

Details

TQ 61 NW 8/701

WARBLETON WARBLETON VILLAGE The Parish Church of St Mary

30.8.66 I Parish church. Nave and chancel C13, north chapel and south porch C14, tower C15, vestry C19. Built of sandstone rubble, the nave and chancel cement rendered to south side, with tiled roof.

West tower C15 in four stages with corner buttress and octagonal corner turret. Crenellated parapet with band with grotesque waterspouts. Arched doorcase with drip moulding below. Second stage has elaborate traceried window with cinque-foils and central quatrefoil to west. Third stage has slit windows and bell stage has open trefoliated openings with wooden louvres.

C13 four bay nave has to south two large arched headed windows double cinquefoiled ogee heads with quatrefoils above and smaller trefoil headed windows to west. Gabled south porch with arched head and dripmoulding and buttresses and C18 double hinged door. C13 chancel has cambered wave pattern to rendering. Westernmost window to a plain lancet, broken at the base by a later trefoil window, then an arched doorcase, in the centre is a large arched window with double ogee with cinquefoil below and trefoil above. Below this is an arched tomb recess. East window is a large elaborate traceried window with four cinquefoil lights in ogee arches. Chancel north wall has Perpendicular window with three cinquefoils and north chapel has an east window with three cinquefoil heads in an ogee arch. Blocked window to north. C15 north aisle has buttress and three windows with double cinquefoil-headed lights. C19 north west vestry built in matching sandstone with north window similar to those in north aisle and Caernarvon-arched doorcase.

Interior: Nave has six bay vaulted roof and C15 four bay north arcade of octagonal sandstone columns. C13 circular column font. West windows by Kempe 1882. Octagonal pulpit and Jacobean wall tablet to Thomas Roberts Esq. Piscina and remains of rood stairs. North aisle has large squire's pew dated 1722, supported on two square posts with wide flight of stairs with panelled baluster. Above it is a wall tablet to Marth Harcourt d.1796 consisting of a Lady in Grecian mourning dress leaning against an urn with tablet below and shield. Some original fragments of stained glass in a north aisle window. C14 wood and iron Parish chest. North chapel has original fragments of stained glass to east window and Rysbrack wall monument to Sir John Lade d.1740, of white, grey and variegated marble. This consists of a marble bust in a variegated marble architectural surround of open pediment with half columns and swags with Victorian scroll ornament under base together with brackets, tablet and shell mouldings. Chancel has ribbed waggon vaulted roof and plain piscina and sedilia. Brass to William Prestwick, Dean of St Mary's College, Hastings d.1436, figure 4ft 5 inches long under an ogee canopy. North wall has stone tablet to John and Anna Roberts c1722, a tablet with drapery, three cherubs' heads and armorial crest.

(See Pevsner B. O. E. Sussex. pps. 619 - 620)

Listing NGR: TQ6088818196

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
295679
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].