BUXTED PARK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1353483

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1953

Statutory Address: BUXTED PARK, UCKFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUXTED PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353483 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 23:20:40.

Location

Statutory Address: BUXTED PARK, UCKFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden (District Authority)

Parish: Buxted

National Grid Reference: TQ 48537 22810

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUXTED UCKFIELD ROAD 1. 5208 Buxted Park TQ 42 SE 26/628 26.11.53 II* 2. This house was originally built by Thoma Medley circa 1722, altered in 1810. Gutted by fire in 1940 and rebuilt without the second storey between 1940 and 1947. Many features from contemporary but demolished London houses were incorporated in it. The second storey rebuilt and large wing added to the north-east. The main front faces south. Three storeys. Nine windows. Red brick, ground floor stuccoed and rusticated, with long and short stone quoins, stone cornice, blocking course and window surroundings. Glazing bars intact. The central portion of 5 window-bays projects with a portico of 6 Doric columns. The east front of 7 windows has a similar portico of 4 columns which was added in 1810 in the place of a recessed centre. The main entrance was moved by Basil Ionides to the west and has a verniculated Ionic doorway brought from West Harling Hall in Norfolk. The interior of the house has many fine C18 features brought from contemporary but demolished houses in London, of which the finest piece is the staircase, which came from No 30 Old Burlington Street. Lord Liverpool, Prime Minister from 1812-1827, lived here.

Listing NGR: TQ4853722810

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 295918

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 14 East Sussex,

End of official listing