SIR JOHN OFFLEY PRIMARY SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1353701

Date first listed: 14-May-1985

Statutory Address: SIR JOHN OFFLEY PRIMARY SCHOOL, A525

Statutory Address: SIR JOHN OFFLEY PRIMARY SCHOOL, IZAAC WALTON WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of SIR JOHN OFFLEY PRIMARY SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353701 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 02:43:06.

Location

Statutory Address: SIR JOHN OFFLEY PRIMARY SCHOOL, A525

Statutory Address: SIR JOHN OFFLEY PRIMARY SCHOOL, IZAAC WALTON WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)

Parish: Madeley

National Grid Reference: SJ 77250 44379

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 74 SE MADELEY C.P. A525 (west side)

5/44 Sir John Offley Primary School

GV II

School. 1875 and 1887. Coursed sandstone blocks on high chamfered plinth with ashlar dressings and quoins, machine tiled roofs with ornamental cresting. Asymmetrical, multiform plan in C17 Vernacular style. Single-storey hall and classrooms lit by large 8-light mullion window in projecting gable to left and by 2 gabled half-dormers to right, beneath which are 2 lower, hip-roofed porches (1887); the lower range against the right-hand gable end is also of this date; 2 prominent tapering external stacks with round shafts and moulded capping, one to the main range and one to the 1887 addition. The principal entrance is to the rear through a mid-C20 red brick addition. The school owes its original endowment to the will of Sir John Offley of Madeley Manor (died 1658) and the C19 building was financed by Hungerford, Baron of Crewe (cf Nos. 1-11, Station Road [Offley Almshouses]). B.O.E., p.200.

Listing NGR: SJ7716844389

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 362653

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 200

End of official listing