SHEFFIELD MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1353726

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1990

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Jun-1995

Statutory Address: SHEFFIELD MILL, MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHEFFIELD MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353726 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 14:08:26.

Location

Statutory Address: SHEFFIELD MILL, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden (District Authority)

Parish: Fletching

National Grid Reference: TQ 41566 25766

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for;

TQ 42 NW FLETCHING SHEFFIELD MILL

18/792 II

GV

the entry shall be amended to read;

TQ 42 NW FLETCHING MILL LANE

18/792 Sheffield Mill 17.10.90 GV II* (star)

Water mill. Commissioned, together with the house, by Richard Leech of Sheffield Park in 1597-98, the first miller recorded as David Finch, but restored in the early C19 and extended in 1869. Some minor C20 alterations. Timberframed building but ground floor (and first floor to the east) faced in brick; English bond brickwork to east, Flemish bond to west with grey headers and some ashlar inserted on south. First floor weatherboarded with tiled roof and catslide to west. North and south side have two C20 casements, south side has blocked door opening and inserted 1920s garage doors. Interior of 2 bays retains 3 late Cl6 jowled corner posts though cut away. Central chamfered beam with run out stop. Old rafters. Lean to to west added c1869. This is the only remaining example in Sussex of a horizontal wooden layshaft. It has been dated to the period 1810-1820. It drives 2 pairs of millstones with 3 pairs of wooden gearwheels. Circa 1869, Samuel Medhurst, the Lewes millwright, extended the building and put in a cast iron overshot waterwheel and a cruciform shaft with a new iron pitwheel. A cast iron wallower was put in to mesh with the earlier layshaft and hursting. The wire machine, grain bins, floorboards and wooden steps also date from this period. Sheffield Mill ceased working in 1928. A list of millers survives back to James Diver in 1828.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------

FLETCHING SHEFFIELD MILL TQ 42 NW 18/792 II GV Water mill. Probably early C19 on site of mill mentioned in Domesday Book and incorporating C17 reused timbers. Base of tooled sandstone with C19 English bond brickwork above to right hand side, weatherboarding to front and Flemish bond diaper brickwork to left hand side. Renewed tiled roof. Iron overshot waterwheel of 1869. The interior is of 2 bays with some reused timbers, including a C17 central beam with run out stop. It retains 2 pairs of stones driven from a horizontal shaft and also a drive to a wire machine. The stones are on a wooden hursting and there is an old pitwheel, a cruciform wheel-shaft and a cast iron waterwheel with rusted buckets. These appear to have been installed in 1869 by Medhurst's, the Lewes millwrights. A list of millers survives back to 1828.

Listing NGR: TQ4156625766

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 297120

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing