Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353747.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2021 at 20:24:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Sussex
Arun (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:


1. 5401 Hiorn's Tower

TQ 00 NW 6/1B 26.3.49.


2. 1787-1789 .[Hiorn first employed on succession of 11th Duke of Norfolk in 1787, and died in 1789: these are therefore limiting dates for the design, not the construction]. Folly. Architect Francis Hiorn. Dressed knapped flint, with chequerboard flushwork of Pulborough stone. Pulborough stone dressings. 3 storeys and parapet. Hexagonal in plan, with octagonal turrets abutting alternate sides. 3 remaining sides have one window range each. 1st floor windows square-headed, 3 lights with 4-centred relieving arch, subdivided by 3 unmoulded cuspless lancets. Hoodmoulds continued both ways as stringcourses. Crenellated parapet. Towers have 4 slits on each side, coved machicolation, crenellated parapets. Door is on west side, with pointed arched head set in oblong recessed panel. 2 similar doors in east and south-west turrets, linked by balcony with iron railings. Hexagonal surrounding wall of flint knapped but not dressed, with chequerboard flushwork of Pulborough stone. Octagonal piers at angles and flanking gates, Pulborough stone with embattled tops. 3 western sides of wall are half height, and are made up to their full height with iron railings; spear, fleur-de-lys, and Maltese cross finials. Gates on west sides; those on east side blocked.

Listing NGR: TQ0124807835


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/06635/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril Selby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].