CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1353751

Date first listed: 19-Jul-1950

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353751 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 01:09:53.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Adur (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 23934 05402

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTHWICK CHURCH LANE TQ 20 NW 3/65 (south side) 19.7.50 Church of St Michael II*

Church. C12 and C13, 1835 by John Garret. Rebuilt in 1949 by John Denman. Coursed and uncoursed cobblestone with plain tiled and pantiled roofs. Tower with side vestries, nave with south porch, and aisles, chancel. Three stage tower and shingled broach spire. First stage reputed to be Saxon, with flanking round-ended vestries of 1949. Renewed round-headed west door with recessed arches on piers. Second stage with wide paired round-headed arches on columns. Third stage with narrow, very tall lancets and round-openings above. Four bay nave of 1835, with simple tripartite lancets. Chancel with much renewed C13 lancets Interior: screen, C14, wood narrow bays. Monument: cartouche, Elizabeth Gray, d. 1745. Tower taken down as a result of bomb damage in 1941.

Listing NGR: TQ2393405402

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 297346

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing