THE RUINS OF OLD BUCKINGHAM HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1353760
Date first listed:
25-Aug-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
THE RUINS OF OLD BUCKINGHAM HOUSE, WOOD VIEW, OLD SHOREHAM, SHOREHAM-BY-SEA

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RUINS OF OLD BUCKINGHAM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353760 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 11:32:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE RUINS OF OLD BUCKINGHAM HOUSE, WOOD VIEW, OLD SHOREHAM, SHOREHAM-BY-SEA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Adur (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 21949 06106

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/01/2013

TQ 20 NW 3/54 25.8.54

SHOREHAM-BY-SEA WOOD VIEW OLD SHOREHAM The Ruins of Old Buckingham House

(Formerly listed as Buckingham House, RAVENSBOURNE AVENUE)

(Formerly listed as The Retreat, with remains of the Old Buckingham House or Place, Norman Crescent)

GV II

This house was designed by the Worthing architect John Rebecca, son of Biagio Rebecca, in 1820. It was burned circa 1910. The shell remains with the east and south walls trimmed to safety and the windows bricked up. The north and west sides are formed by the block of flats known as Nos 1 to Woodview Court. 2 storeys. 3 windows facing east, 3 south, white brick. Each front flanked by twin stone pilasters with fancy capitals decorated with rosettes. Stone cornice and blocking course with arcroteria above the pilasters. 1st floor windows in stone surrounds. Ground floor outer windows have semi-circular tympana with niches in the centre containing shells. Central bay of east front projects and is flanked by free-standing pseudo-Corinthian columns rising through both storeys with additional rosettes to the caps. Above is an elaborate enriched frieze of ox-heads and swags and a tall parapet set between vases. In the centre of the ground floor on south front is a curved bay containing a doorway and side lights. The house figures in George Moore's novel, "Esther Waters".



Listing NGR: TQ2194906106

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
297307
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Moore, G, Esther Waters

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].