THE DOME

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1353844

Date first listed: 22-Jul-1949

Statutory Address: THE DOME, 55, UPPER BOGNOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE DOME
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353844 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 17:46:59.

Location

Statutory Address: THE DOME, 55, UPPER BOGNOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Arun (District Authority)

Parish: Bognor Regis

National Grid Reference: SZ 94121 99668

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

UPPER BOGNOR ROAD 1. 5401 (North Side) --------------- No 55 (The Dome) SZ 9499 18/16 22.7.49. GV 2. This was originally a crescent of 3 houses built by Sir Richard Hotham about 1787, and then called Hothampton Crescent. The centre house was called the Dome and was constructed with the hope that George III could be induced to desert Weymouth and reside here on visiting Bognor. Princess Charlotte did actually stay here in 1808. The east house was originally known as Arran Lodge. All 3 houses are now known as the Dome and are all occupied by the Bognor Training College. 3 storeys and basement. 13 windows in all. Red brick with window dressings of grey headers, quotas and string- course above each floor of yellow brick and relieving arches of red brick. Red brick modillion eaves cornice above the end houses which is continued over the centre house with parapet above and pediment in it over the 3 centre window bays. Bay of 3 windows on all floors at each end of the Crescent with hipped slate roof. Glazing bars intact. Ground floor windows of centre house round-headed and in red brick arcading with yellow brick keystones. Centre 1st floor window has 3 lights and a segmental head and is set in a yellow brick arch with keystone of grey headers. 3-light lunette window above it on 2nd floor. Oval stone panel with the name Hothampton Crescent and cartouche in the typanum of pediment. The centre doorway is approached by a double curved flight of 7 steps with handrail and railing edging the platform. There is an entrance to the basement beneath the centre of the block of the steps. The doorway has stuccoed pilasters, pediment on consoles, a frieze enriched with swags, and a rectangular fanlight. The other houses have simpler doorways at the head of straight steps with handrail. These doorways have Doric pilasters of painted wood, pediments and semi- circular fanlights, the east one without its divisions, though the fan of an inner door has them. Over the centre of the centre house is a small cupola, faced with slates and containing 4 sash windows facing the points of the compass with a dentilled cornice round it and leaden dome above. To the rear is a central full-height extension of contemporary period, having a very wide 3-window bay on all storeys. Nos 41 to 57 (odd), No 55A, Nos 65 to 71 (odd) and all the walls form a group.

Listing NGR: SZ9412199668

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 297636

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing