Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1353931

Date first listed: 26-Jul-1974



Ordnance survey map of GRAMMAR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1353931 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 04:24:14.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Horsham (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 17495 31558


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HURST ROAD 1. 1236 (North Side) Grammar School TQ 1731 2/123 II 2. 1892 by Arthur Vernon. Asymmetrical. 2 storeys with additional attic and basement at east end. 9 windows. Red brick with stone dressings. Chimneys with moulded brick cornice. Red tiled roof with moulded eaves cornice. Stringcourses between storeys and plinth. Large gables with parapets and stone cappings flanking the front. In west gable, a stone quatrefoil set in imitation chip-carved fields under pointed relieving arch. Underneath, a large mullioned window rising through both storeys with 5 stone heraldic panels dividing the storeys. Gothic tops to the lights. Under east gable, bay window of 3 lights rising through both storeys, with parapet containing inset quatrefoils, corbelled out over basement window. 2-light attic window in the gable set under a pointed relieving arch filled with imitation chip-carving in moulded brick. Towards west end, buttressed porch of 2 storeys and attic with stone-panelled parapet. Tracery quatrefoil set in a pointed window with hood mould over a pair of lights. Underneath the inscription "Grammar School founded by Richard Collier AD 1532", and below doorway with carved spandrels. 3 small buttressed bays with gablets grouped asymmetrically in middle of the front. Paired lights. 3-pointed relieving arches in gables with imitation chip-carved fields in moulded brick. Small pointed door with hood mould at east end with internal stair lit by lancets. Other windows of 2, 3 and 4 lights, those on ground floor under segmental relieving arches. All plate glass windows. Subsidiary wing with simpler detail in Richmond Road.

Listing NGR: TQ1749531558


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 298145

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing