SHERMANBURY PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1354041

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1955

Statutory Address: SHERMANBURY PLACE, BRIGHTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHERMANBURY PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354041 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 21:47:14.

Location

Statutory Address: SHERMANBURY PLACE, BRIGHTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Horsham (District Authority)

Parish: Shermanbury

National Grid Reference: TQ 21381 18825

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHERMANBURY BRIGHTON ROAD 1. 5404 Shermanbury Place TQ 21 NW 9/320 15.3.55

II

2. James Dallaway's "History of the Western Division of Sussex" says that this house was rebuilt by John Challen about 1780 on the site of an old mansion then demolished. But he also gives a plate of the house. This, though very similar in character to the present house, is considerably smaller than the latter, and it presumably was enlarged or rebuilt about 60 years later. It is built of white brick on a stuccoed base and consists of a centre portion and 2 wings. Two storeys. The centre portion has 5 windows, of which the three centre window-bays project with a pediment over containing a round panel. Stringcourse, modillion cornice and blocking course. Hipped slate roof. Windows in moulded architrave surrounds but with their glazing bars missing. At the head of 5 segmental steps in the centre of the front a porch with pediment over has been added later. The wings are of lower elevation and have 2 windows each. At the east end of the house is a veranda covering the whole width of the house on this side. This consists of 4 pairs of coupled Doric columns. At the west end but detached from the house a tower has been added in the mid C19.

Listing NGR: TQ2138118825

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 298636

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dallaway, J, History of the Western Division of Sussex, (1815)
Dallaway, J, History of the Western Division of Sussex, (1815)

End of official listing