KNEPP CASTLE AND STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1354214
Date first listed:
22-Sep-1959
Statutory Address:
KNEPP CASTLE AND STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH WEST, CASTLE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KNEPP CASTLE AND STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354214.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 01:15:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
KNEPP CASTLE AND STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH WEST, CASTLE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Horsham (District Authority)
Parish:
Shipley
National Grid Reference:
TQ 15642 21717

Details

SHIPLEY CASTLE LANE (off) 1. 5404 Knepp Castle and stables adjoining to north-west TQ 12 SE 16/495 22.9.59.

II*

2. Castellated Gothic mansion built by Sir Charles Merrick Burrell between 1800 and 1813. Architect John Nash, Clerk of the Works Alexander Kyffin. L-shaped plan. Two storeys and attic. Eleven windows. Faced with Roman cement. Tiled roof. Square-headed sash windows with obtusely pointed panes, glazing bars and dripstones over. Large round tower containing the staircase in centre of north-east front. South-west front has a series of machicolated turrets. Stone porch in centre. Later addition after 1830 at north-west end. Beyond this is the stable court-yard of which the inner facade is faced with red brick and grey headers and has a castellated parapet. The south side consists of 2 blocks of 2 windows and 4 windows respectively with gate-post between them surmounted by eagles.

Listing NGR: TQ1564221717

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
299507
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 44 West Sussex,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/05795/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tim Nichols. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].