CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1354484
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
28-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH FARM LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354484 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 21:33:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH FARM LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Chichester (District Authority)
Parish:
East Wittering
National Grid Reference:
SZ 80219 97890

Details

EAST WITTERING CHURCH FARM LANE SZ 89 NW 20/690 Church of the Assumption of St Mary the Virgin. 5.6.58 (Formerly the Parish Church of St John the Baptist.)

- II*

Essentially early C12 the chancel rebuilt 1847, heavily restored 1875-6 by Lacy W Rudge. Built of random Mixon stone and Caen stone rubble with tiled roof. Nave and chancel with small belfry at west end. In the north wall, the head of one blocked Norman window and blocked C13 door as well as two modern lancets. Nave roof possible C18. Chancel arch C13 and of two chamfered orders. Font probably old but wholly recut in C19. In the south wall a Norman doorway of 2 orders. A broad hand of chevron ornament finished with a frieze of lobed pendants. Modern neck shafts, plain abaci with scalloped capitals.

Listing NGR: SZ8021997890

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
300850
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].