STANSTED HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1354611
Date first listed:
05-Jun-1958
Statutory Address:
STANSTED HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STANSTED HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354611 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 23:53:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
STANSTED HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Chichester (District Authority)
Parish:
Stoughton
National Park:
SOUTH DOWNS
National Grid Reference:
SU 76130 10316

Details

STOUGHTON STANSTED SU 71 SE 6/294 Stansted House 5.6.58 - II*

The first house on this site was built by William Talman for the Earl of Scarborough in 1686. This was replaced in 1786 by a house by James Wyatt and Bonomi. The latter was burned down in 1900 except for the service wing and stables (see next entry). The present house was erected in 1903 by A C Blomfield in the style of Wren. Nearly square in shape. 2 storeys and attics. The west or entrance front has 9 windows. Red brick with Portland stone quoins, stringcourse, modillion cornice and balustraded parapet. The centre portion of 3 windows projects with a pediment over containing a cir- cular window and stone swags round it. Glazing bars intact. Stone archi- traves over ground floor windows. Stone portico up 7 steps consisting of 6 Ionic columns suppdrting a balustrade. Hexagonal turret in the centre of the roof. The south side has 6 windows and no projection. Pediment over the 4 centre ground floor windows.

Listing NGR: SU7613010316

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
301294
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 44 West Sussex,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/10582/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Easton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].