BINDERTON CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1354654

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: BINDERTON CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BINDERTON CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354654 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 07:35:55.

Location

Statutory Address: BINDERTON CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester (District Authority)

Parish: West Dean

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: SU8504710662

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:

WEST DEAN BINDERTON CHAPEL SU 81SE 8/22 II

Former chapel, later granary, derelict at time of survey. Erected by Thomas Smythe c.1671 to replace the old Parish Church about 200 metres north of Binderton House which had been demolished by his father c.1660 "because it stood in his light". Single chamber of flint with red brick dressings. Roof missing. Front elevation has a round-headed arch with keystone and impost blocks. Stringcourse, and full height pilasters and plinth. 2-light mullioned window. Side elevations have moulded cornice, pilasters and plinth. Further mullioned window to rear. The interior is lined with stone blocks. The building was never consecrated and the only person to be buried here was Thomas Smythe in accordance with his will of 1687-8. In the C18 the building was used as a granary and in 1839 Smythe's body and monument were removed to West Dean Church. The building was restored in 1984. See Sussex Notes and Queries. 3. 1930 pp 85-87 Sussex Archaeological Collections 117. 1979 pp 109-124.

Listing NGR: SU8504710662

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 301570

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Sussex Archaeological Collections' in Sussex Archaeological Collections, , Vol. 117, (1979), 109-124

End of official listing