CLOCK TOWER 110 METRES NORTH EAST OF CRAGSIDE PARK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1354750
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1981
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Aug-1987
Statutory Address:
CLOCK TOWER 110 METRES NORTH EAST OF CRAGSIDE PARK HOUSE, CRAGSIDE LODGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLOCK TOWER 110 METRES NORTH EAST OF CRAGSIDE PARK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354750.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 14:52:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CLOCK TOWER 110 METRES NORTH EAST OF CRAGSIDE PARK HOUSE, CRAGSIDE LODGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Rothbury
National Grid Reference:
NU 06999 02152

Details

ROTHBURY CRAGSIDE LODGE NU 0602 23/280 Clock Tower 110 metres north-east 22.12.81 of Cragside Park House (formerly listed as Clock Tower at Knocklaw) GV II*

Clock Tower, 1864 for Lord Armstrong. Squared tooled stone with raised tooled dressings and clock stage; Welsh slate roof to lower part, timber cupola with lead spire.

South elevation has vertical-panelled door in chamfered pointed arch, other elevations have lead-latticed casements in similar openings, all under gables with cruciform loops. Octagonal clock stage, with 4 clock faces, and cupola with shouldered arches carrying swept spire with weathervane.

Interior; 2 transverse round arches carrying superstructure. Clock mechanism, giving day of week etc, in early cast-iron frame. Bell dated 1864 by John Warner and Son, London (not seen).

The clock tower was the original pay office for the Cragside Estate. The clock mechanism may have been designed by Lord Armstrong.

Listing NGR: NU0699902152

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236626
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 31 Northumberland,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].