CLAYTON WINDMILLS AND THE MILLHOUSE ATTACHED

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1354812

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1957

Statutory Address: CLAYTON WINDMILLS AND THE MILLHOUSE ATTACHED, MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLAYTON WINDMILLS AND THE MILLHOUSE ATTACHED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354812 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 17:45:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CLAYTON WINDMILLS AND THE MILLHOUSE ATTACHED, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex (District Authority)

Parish: Hassocks

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: TQ 30366 13368

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLAYTON MILL LANE 1. 5405 Clayton Windmills and the Millhouse attached TQ 31 SW 23/45 28.10.57 II*

2. Two complete windmills, the remains of a third and the millhouse adjoining. The 2 complete windmills are always known as "Jack and Jill". "Jill" is the older and dates from 1821. This is a post mill that was moved to this site from Dyke Road, Brighton, about 1850. Round house of tarred weather-boarding. Roof and breasts covered with sheets of metal. Sweeps without shutters. Fantail missing. Machinery intact. "Jack" is a tower mill dating from 1866. It is built of brick, faced with metal plates, tarred. Gallery above ground floor. Beehive cap with finial. Framework for the fantail complete. Main sweeps missing. The roof construction is a skilful example of a spheroid framing covering. "Jack" is joined to the adjoining mid C19 millhouse of one storey, which is stuccoed, and to the ground floor of a third mill, older than "Jill" which was called Duncton mill. This is the round house of a mid C18 post mill taken down in 1866. All 3 together are occupied as a dwellinghouse.

Listing NGR: TQ3036613368

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 302431

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing