TREEMANS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1354856
Date first listed:
11-May-1983
Statutory Address:
TREEMANS, TREEMANS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TREEMANS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354856 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 14:54:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
TREEMANS, TREEMANS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Mid Sussex (District Authority)
Parish:
Horsted Keynes
National Grid Reference:
TQ 37918 26668

Details

HORSTED KEYNES TREEMANS ROAD 1. 5405 Freemans TQ 32 NE 12/472 II

2. It is an L-shaped building. The original portion is C16 and timber-framed but now mostly tile-hung, though the timbering with red brick infilling is exposed in one place. The south front of the south-east wing is faced with ashlar with long and short quoins and a large brick chimney breast. The north-east wing has a projection of 2 storeys with a gable on its east side which is the end of the Elizabethan part of the house. Beyond this the wing was been extended to the east in the late C17 and refaced or enlarged on its north-west face. This front has 3 storeys and 5 windows. Red brick and grey headers. Stone stringcourse above each floor. Brick parapet. Casement windows with stone keystones and small square leaded panes. Door- way with semi-circular doorsteps, door of 8 fielded panels and flat hood over. The north gable end of this wing has moulded bargeboards and brackets with the date 1693 and a brick stringcourse. The house was occupied by the Wyatt family for many years, but it is chiefly known as the residence of Mary Benson, widow of Edward White Benson, Archbishop of Canterbury, from 1899 to her death in 1918. Some of the books of all 3 of her sons, A.C. Benson, R.H. Benson and E.F. Benson were written here. But Mrs Benson's life in the house is best described in her son E.F. Benson's book "Mother

Listing NGR: TQ3791826668

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
302579
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/13580/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Francis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].