THE RUINS OF OLD SLAUGHAM PLACE IN THE GROUNDS OF SLAUGHAM MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1354891

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1957

Statutory Address: THE RUINS OF OLD SLAUGHAM PLACE IN THE GROUNDS OF SLAUGHAM MANOR, STAPLEFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE RUINS OF OLD SLAUGHAM PLACE IN THE GROUNDS OF SLAUGHAM MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354891 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 15:41:01.

Location

Statutory Address: THE RUINS OF OLD SLAUGHAM PLACE IN THE GROUNDS OF SLAUGHAM MANOR, STAPLEFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex (District Authority)

Parish: Slaugham

National Grid Reference: TQ 26039 27837

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SLAUGHAM STAPLEFIELD ROAD 1. 5405 Slaugham The Ruins of Old Slaugham Place in the grounds of Slaugham Manor TQ 22 NE 10/184 28.10.57 II*

2. Slaugham Manor was built by Walter Tower in 1901 at some distance from the old site. But the garden is bounded by the ruined stone walls of the late C16 or early C17 house built by Sir Walter Covert and designed by John Thorpe. It formed a complete courtyard. It was largely demolished in the C18, when the staircase was removed to the Star Inn at Lewes, and is now incorporated in the Lewes Town Hall. The principal remains are portions of 2 towers, part of the kitchen and hall and 3 round-headed doorways.

Listing NGR: TQ2603927837

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 302780

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 44 West Sussex,

End of official listing