BENTON HOUSE (CONSERVATIVE CLUB)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1354993
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1950
Statutory Address:
BENTON HOUSE (CONSERVATIVE CLUB), HOYLAKE AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BENTON HOUSE (CONSERVATIVE CLUB)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1354993 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 23:49:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
BENTON HOUSE (CONSERVATIVE CLUB), HOYLAKE AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 27250 68429

Details

LONGBENTON HOYLAKE AVENUE (north side) NZ 26 NE 6/9 Benton House (Conservative 27.2.50 Club) G.V. II House, now club. Late C18 and Cl9. Built for T.C. Bigge (1739-94). Sandstone ashlar; graduated Lakeland slate roof. 2 storeys; 1:3:5 bays. Main block of 5 bays has inserted sash window in central Tuscan porch with fluted necking; glazing bars to 2 sashes either side; none to renewed first floor sashes. Sill and floor bands; dentilled broken pediment over central 3 bays, and dentilled eaves gutter cornice; floating cornice above central window. Wing set back at left has pedimented first bay containing tripartite windows, transomed on ground and sashed at first floors; eaves cornice under keystoned roundel in pediment. Half-glazed central door (with large overlight) in 3-bay linking section which has renewed sash windows and early C20 pedimented dormer. Hipped roof with ashlar chimneys. Interior damaged by fire. Shop inserted in rear of first bay: see under Front Street.

Listing NGR: NZ2725068429

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303254
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03172/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs J.H. Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].