CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1355013

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, ST JOHN'S TERRACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355013 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 11:49:50.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, ST JOHN'S TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 33810 67169

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TYNEMOUTH ST. JOHN'S TERRACE NZ 36 NW (north side), Percy Main. 7/119 Church of St. John the Evangelist. II Parish church. 1862 by Salvin for the Duke of Northumberland. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings and quoins; slate roof with flat stone gable copings on kneelers. Aisled nave with south porch; short aisles to chancel. Moulded pointed arch to south door in gabled porch; shouldered priest's door to chancel. 2 tall west lancets divided by massive buttress continuing to corbelled, gabled bell-cote. Irregular-block jambs to lancets of aisles and clerestory, paired in south nave aisle; 3 stepped east lancets. Cross finials to steeply-pitched nave and chancel roofs, fleur-de-lis finial to porch. Interior: plaster; chamfered 4-bay nave arcades; rear arches to windows and doors; chamfered chancel arch with inner arch on shafted corbels; 2-bay arcades on low walls to chancel aisles. Corbelled shafts to arch-braced cellar-truss nave roof. Painted wooden First World War memorial panel in north aisle; glass in north aisle by Theophilus Storey of Newcastle in 1892; illuminated Our Father on wood panel in chancel; marble monument by G. Park, North Shields, to Arthur Tomlin Coates, vicar, died 1897.

Listing NGR: NZ3381067169

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 303364

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/34471

End of official listing