CLIFFORD'S FORT TRINITY HOUSE ALMSHOUSES AND BOUNDARY STONE ATTACHED

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1355016

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: CLIFFORD'S FORT, 54, UNION ROAD

Statutory Address: TRINITY HOUSE ALMSHOUSES AND BOUNDARY STONE ATTACHED, UNION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLIFFORD'S FORT
TRINITY HOUSE ALMSHOUSES AND BOUNDARY STONE ATTACHED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355016 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 11:09:39.

Location

Statutory Address: CLIFFORD'S FORT, 54, UNION ROAD

Statutory Address: TRINITY HOUSE ALMSHOUSES AND BOUNDARY STONE ATTACHED, UNION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 36309 68482

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TYNEMOUTH UNION ROAD (east side, off) NZ 3668 SW 15/134 Clifford's Fort (No. 54) Trinity House Almshouses and boundary stone attached. G.V. II Lighthouse, later almshouse. 1727 lighthouse; raised 1775; converted to almshouses 1830; for Trinity House, Newcastle upon Tyne. Brick of varying bonds with quoins at right; ground floor rendered; painted sandstone ashlar right return; sandstone rubble lower courses on left return. Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys, 8 irregular bays. Ground floor: rendered lintel to door in fifth bay, flat arches to windows. Elliptical brick arches to windows on upper floors. Some windows bricked up, some with sashes burnt or removed. Inserted double loading doors in first floor. Deep moulded brick first floor string; moulded brick brackets to second floor band. 3 commemorative panels, eroded, on first and second floors, one latter dated 1775. Sundial on second floor, right of centre. Hipped roof without chimneys. Historical note: Trinity House, Newcastle, was granted permission to build leading lights at Shields by Henry VIII. This is the earliest survivor of buildings begun in 1539; it became redundant on completion of the new low light (q.v.) in 1808. Sources: Trinity House MSS. Boundary stone attached to left return: sandstone block inscribed WD/BS/No7 about 12 cm. above ground. Almshouse empty and derelict at time of survey.

Listing NGR: NZ3630968482

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 303382

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing