LOW LIGHTHOUSE AND BUILDING ATTACHED TO NORTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355017
Date first listed:
19-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
LOW LIGHTHOUSE AND BUILDING ATTACHED TO NORTH, UNION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOW LIGHTHOUSE AND BUILDING ATTACHED TO NORTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355017 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 05:37:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
LOW LIGHTHOUSE AND BUILDING ATTACHED TO NORTH, UNION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 36268 68431

Details

TYNEMOUTH UNION ROAD (east side, off) NZ 3668 SW North Shields. 15/137 Low lighthouse and building 24.10.50 attached to north. G.V. II Lighthouse and house attached. Now fish processing unit. 1807 for Trinity House, Newcastle upon Tyne; house dated 1816 on door lintel. Lighthouse painted ashlar; lead roof. House: English garden wall bond brick with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roof. Lighthouse: 6 storeys and lantern storey, one bay; south door with large overlight above suspended canopy; sash window under first-floor cornice. Tapered tower with canted corners: round-headed windows with glazing bars; upper windows blind on north and west faces; east face entirely blind. Curved railings to lantern stage which has similar window on south; low curved roof with central chimney. House: 3 storeys, 3 bays, Alternate-block jambs and stone lintel to 6-panelled door at right; inserted loading door in second bay; blind first bay. On first floor, sashes with glazing bars and wedge lintels in 2 bays; at right a large round-headed window, with impost blocks and stone arch, boarded up; 3 boarded-up second floor windows. Projecting stone sills. Roof hipped at left.

Listing NGR: NZ3626868431

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303385
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Oct 2006
Reference: IOE01/15605/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].