65, 66 AND 67, BOROUGH ROAD, 11, NEW QUAY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355018
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1984
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
11, NEW QUAY
Statutory Address:
65, 66 AND 67, BOROUGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 65, 66 AND 67, BOROUGH ROAD, 11, NEW QUAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355018 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2019 at 10:32:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
11, NEW QUAY
Statutory Address:
65, 66 AND 67, BOROUGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 35643 67933

Details

TYNEMOUTH BOROUGH ROAD (west side) NZ 36 NE North Shields 8/43 24.1.84 Nos 65, 66 and 67 G.V. II Sailors' Home, now offices. 1854-6 by Benjamin Green for 4th Duke of Northumberland. Ashlar with rusticated ground floor; low-pitched Welsh slate roof. L-plan. 3 storeys and attic; 3, 3 and 3 bays defined by flat giant Ionic pilasters. 4-panelled door under 2-paned fanlight in third bay, and double door in glazed round-headed opening in fifth. Round-headed windows in other bays of ground floor. First-floor windows have stilted fanlights under fluted surrounds in bays 2 and 8; pediment in bay 5; architraves in remaining bays. Second floor and attic windows in plain reveals, all with glazing bars. Dentilled entablature to second floor; attic defined by pilasters under cornice and blocking course. Similar style left return to New Quay: 5 and 3 bays. Voussoirs to elliptical-headed carriage entrance in first bay. Ground floor windows boarded up at time of survey. Source: H.E. Craster History of Northumberland vol. VIII The Parish of Tynemouth 1907.

Listing NGR: NZ3564367933

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303289
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Craster, H H E, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parish Of Tynemouth, , Vol. 8, (1907)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].