MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1355036
Date first listed:
18-Sep-1953
Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355036 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 20:26:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Woodford cum Membris
National Grid Reference:
SP 53836 52543

Details

WOODFORD CUM MEMBRIS HINTON SP5352 17/139 Manor House 18/09/53 GV II* Manor house. Late C17. Ironstone ashlar, old tile roofs, brick and stone lateral stacks. Incomplete H-plan. 2 storeys, basement and attic; 5-window range. 6-panel principal door with panelled reveals in moulded stone surround with cornice and segmental pediment on carved stone console brackets, approached by 6 moulded stone steps with plain stone balustrading. Flanked by wood mullion and transom windows with moulded stone sills and surrounds. Similar windows to first floor, that over door blocked. Projecting 2-bay wing to right with chamfered quoins and similar windows, that to first floor right blocked. Incomplete single storey wing to left with lean-to slate roof with square blocked window with simple moulded stone surround. Chamfered plinth, storey band, moulded and bracketted wood eaves cornice, hipped roof. Large stone stack to inner side of projecting wing with plain flue to front, twin blank arcades with round heads to rear flue. Right side elevation of 4 windows has central 2-bay projection with 6-panel door with overlight to left approached from left by outside staircase with moulded stone steps and plain wrought-iron balustrade. To right of door tall window rising through ground and first floor lighting staircase. Door to basement below with simple moulded stone surround and part-glazed plank door. Narrow windows to return sides of projection. All windows on this side had simple moulded stone surrounds with slate roof. Rear elevation has lean-to with slate roof of one storey and attic of poorer masonry with plank door to left with straight hood, 3-light basement window to right, 3-light casement window to first floor with timber lintel and a roof dormer. Projecting wing to left of 2 bays with 15-pane sash window to first floor right windows, rest blocked. Unfinished wing to right has chamfered quoins and portion of storey band to match wing to left. Lateral stacks to inner side of projecting wings with blue brick flues. Interior: open well staircase from ground floor to attic with turned balusters. Bolection-moulded stone fireplaces to hall and other rooms, and moulded stone doorcases. Begun c.1695 and never finished. Dates 1697 and 1699 are scratched in stonework of basement.

Listing NGR: SP5383652543

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360629
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03419/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Baker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].