CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355038
Date first listed:
18-Aug-1947
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCHILL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355038 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 14:25:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCHILL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 31783 67718

Details

NZ 36 NW 7/150 18.8.47

WALLSEND CHURCHILL STREET (east side)

Willington Church of St. Mary

II G.V. Parish church. 1876 by Austin and Johnson. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Nave and south porch; chancel with north vestry. Early English style. Door, with elaborate hinges and handle, in triple-chamfered recess in porch; 4-bay nave has lancet windows, paired on north, paired in alternate bays on south; 2 west lancets under large roundel. Arcade and 7 lancets, partly blind, to chancel on south; 3 stepped east lancets under almond-shaped window and 3 roundels. Set-back buttresses; sill string. Roof has sanctus bellcote, cross finials. Interior: plaster with ashlar dressings; king-post roof. Inner corbelled arch to cavetto-moulded chancel arch; irregular jambs and steeply sloping sills to windows. Long sill panels in chancel. Aumbry with cusped canopy in south chancel; octagonal stone font. High quality rood screen commemorates Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee; Gothic style pulpit is World War I memorial.

Listing NGR: NZ 31783 67718

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303398
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03172/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs J.H. Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].