THERMAL SYNDICATE OFFICES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355041
Date first listed:
19-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
THERMAL SYNDICATE OFFICES, NEPTUNE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THERMAL SYNDICATE OFFICES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355041 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 22:50:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
THERMAL SYNDICATE OFFICES, NEPTUNE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 29749 65744

Details

WALLSEND NEPTUNE ROAD (east side) NZ 26 NE Thermal Syndicate offices 6/162 II Offices. Circa 1906 for Thermal Syndicate. Brick with ashlar dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof. Free Baroque style. 2 storeys, 9 windows; gables over entrance in bays 4 and 5 and over 2 right end bays. Elliptical-headed surround to double door and overlight in prominent Ionic doorcase with paired, banded pilasters, dentilled cornice and broken segmental pedimented hood with carved soffit. Wood mullioned-and-transomed windows, of 6 and 8 lights, on ground floor; cross windows on first floor, those under gables with stone-mullions and transoms; double keystones under right gable rise to tall segmental pediment containing roundel. Central gable over door has tall consoled pediment containing round-headed keyed window. Ball finials to gables. Hipped roof has ashlar-corniced brick ridge chimneys. Historical note: the syndicate was formed in 1903 to develop the technique of fusing quartz for the manufacture of acid-and-heat-resistant vessels. Source: W. Richardson, History of the Parish of Wallsend. Newcastle 1923 pp349-353. Listed for industrial-historical interest.

Listing NGR: NZ2974965744

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303410
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Richardson, W, History of the Parish of Wallsend, (1923), 349-353

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03172/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs J.H. Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].