NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK INCLUDING BANK CHAMBERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355045
Date first listed:
08-Nov-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Apr-1993
Statutory Address:
NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK INCLUDING BANK CHAMBERS, 86, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK INCLUDING BANK CHAMBERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355045 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 06:22:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK INCLUDING BANK CHAMBERS, 86, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Bideford
National Grid Reference:
SS 45444 26611

Details

BIDEFORD

SS4526 HIGH STREET 842-1/5/139 (North side) 08/11/49 No.86 National Westminster Bank incl Bank Chambers (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET (North side) No.86) (Formerly Listed as: THE QUAY Doctor's Surgery adjoining Bank)

GV II

Bank and offices. Early or mid C19; part of it (probably the left-hand section) probably c1853 by RD Gould of Barnstaple. Solid rendered walls. Slate roofs; left-hand section a mansard, that to right (on the corner) hipped. 3 rendered chimneys with bracketed cornices. Plan consists of 3 distinct builds: a relatively low block to left of High Street frontage, a taller corner block, and another low block at the rear, fronting King Street. 3-storeyed corner block; the others 2-storeyed. Left-hand block facing High Street is of 5-window range. Ground storey is of vermiculated blocks; round-arched windows (the middle one originally a doorway) with moulded imposts and large bearded-head keystones; 2-paned casements with 2-paned transom-lights. Upper-storey windows have rusticated architraves with triple keystones; pedestal-course below; 6-paned sashes. Modillioned eaves cornice surmounted by a balustrade. Corner block has 3-window front to High Street and 5-window front to The Quay. Horizontally-channelled ground storey; panelled double-doors in place of middle window to High Street. Second-storey windows have moulded architraves on continued bracketed sills; pulvinated friezes, cornices alternating with triangular pediments. Third-storey windows have moulded cornices on continued sills. Top entablature with bracketed eaves-cornice; frieze with circular panels. Ground and third-storey windows have barred sashes; 2 panes over 4 panes in ground storey to High Street, 6 over 6 panes to The Quay; 3 over 6 panes in the third storey. Second storey has 3-paned wood casements with 2-paned transom-lights. Rear wall has round-arched third-storey window (visible from The Quay) with moulded architrave and vermiculated keystone. Block facing King Street is 4 windows wide. Panelled double-doors with 3-paned fanlight in place of left-hand window; left jamb has attractive name-plates and bell-pushes, perhaps of the 1930s. All windows have barred sashes: 6 over 6 panes in ground storey, 3 over 6 panes in second storey. Moulded plinth in ground storey, continued sills in second storey. Tall panelled parapet, wholly concealing the roof. INTERIOR partly inspected. Ground-floor banking-hall remodelled in late C20, although lowered ceiling may conceal earlier detail. Entrance to Bank Chambers in King Street has Georgian-style wooden staircase (probably 1930s) with ramped handrail and thick square-section balusters. The builder is believed to have been EB White of Bideford. (Grant A: The Book of Bideford: 1987-: P.72; Morris: Directory of Devonshire: 1870-: P.348; Bideford Community Archive; newspaper cutting).

Listing NGR: SS4544426611

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
375849
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Grant, A, The Book of Bideford, (1987), 72
'Morris Directory' in Devonshire, (1870), 348

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07970/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].