DIRECTION POST AT SOUTH EAST CORNER OF STONE CROSSROADS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355081
Date first listed:
03-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
DIRECTION POST AT SOUTH EAST CORNER OF STONE CROSSROADS

Map

Ordnance survey map of DIRECTION POST AT SOUTH EAST CORNER OF STONE CROSSROADS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355081 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 13:22:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
DIRECTION POST AT SOUTH EAST CORNER OF STONE CROSSROADS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Buckland in the Moor
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 71950 74554

Details

BUCKLAND-IN-THE-MOOR SX77 SW 6/41 Direction post at south-east - corner of Stone crossroads

- II

Direction post. Dated 1790. Granite. Roughly shaped stone of oblong section embedded on top of a grass covered embankment by the roadside. Carved inscriptions on each of the broad faces to north-east and south-west, the north-east face bearing the date 1790. Beneath this the inscription is difficult to read, but is possibly NEWTON; the inscription on south-west side may be ASHBURTON. On the north-west edge is carved the letter W, perhaps referring to the adjacent parish of Widecombe. The south-east edge is concealed by the embankment. This is an unusually early type of direction post and one of the few to carry a date. It was re-erected in 1963, having been "formerly built into opposite wall". Source: Sites and Monuments Register, County Hall, Exeter.

Listing NGR: SX7195074554

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
85242
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/10682/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].