STEPHENS HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1355113

Date first listed: 18-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: STEPHENS HALL, CUSHY COW LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STEPHENS HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355113 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 11:59:16.

Location

Statutory Address: STEPHENS HALL, CUSHY COW LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Gateshead (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: NZ 15620 62871

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 16 SE 567/4/87 18.11.85

RYTON CUSHY COW LANE (East side), RYTON Stephens Hall

II*

Small fortified manor house. 1635, 1653 with considerable late C18 and early C19 alterations and minor C20 additions. Sandstone rubble and ashlar with quoins, and C20 brick additions. Welsh slate roofs with flat stone gable copings. 2 storeys. PLAN: Courtyard plan with 3 ranges and wall to north side. EXTERIOR: South front, considerably re-modelled C19, has 5 windows. Disturbed masonry walling including central ashlar section. Central 6-pane sash flanked by C20 doors with overlights, flanked again by further 6-pane sashes. Above 5 similar sash windows, that above right door blind. East front, gable wall has very large stepped external stack with small deeply chamfered fire windows either side on upper floors. To right two 16-pane sashes and above 2 through eaves 16-pane sashes. To right C20 lean-to brick addition. North front has deep central segmental arch with hood mould and date stone above inscribed:- DVMSPIROSPERO ANNO 1653 the wall topped with shallow battlements with Latin inscriptions. Within arch, 4-centred arched doorway with moulded stone surround with ribbon decoration inscribed:- S C 1635 and Tudor hood mould. Either side 2-storey wings with coped gables. That to left obscured by C20 lean-to brick additions to ground floor and above single C19 twelve-pane sash. That to right partly obscured by C20 lean-to brick additions, with above chamfered 4-centred arched window opening with 2-light Yorkshire sash and above small blocked 2-light chamfered mullion window. West front has blank gable wall to right and to left two 16-pane sashes with 2 similar sashes above. INNER COURTYARD: South wall has central 4-centred arched doorway with decorated lintel and Tudor hood-mould now containing stable window, to right C19 plank door and to left chamfered single light opening. Above central 3-light chamfered mullion window with hood-mould, above again chamfered opening under Tudor hood mould with 2-light wooden casement. East wall has single 4-centred arched doorway to right with lintel inscribed:- ANNO MDCLII and to left similar upper doorway both now blocked. INTERIOR: Not inspected but reported as having various original 4-centred arched doorways and chimney pieces, some partly block and others recently exposed. Fragments of contemporary wall paintings in kitchen.

Listing NGR: NZ1562062871

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 303852

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing