CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1355120
Date first listed:
18-Nov-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, SHIBDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1355120 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 14:54:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, SHIBDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Gateshead (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 18436 63381

Details

NZ 16 SE BLAYDON SHIBDON ROAD (north side) 4/21 Church of St. Cuthbert

G.V. II

Parish church. 1844 - 45 by G. Pickering; chancel 1860-62 by J.E. Watson; tower 1869; re-roofed and restored 1882. Snecked sandstone with plinth and ashlar dressings; roof of Welsh slate has overlapping stone gable copings. Early English, and Decorated styles. Nave with large north aisle; chancel with north porch; west tower. Paired lancets,cusped in chancel under dentil table. Battlemented tower has corner and side spirelets, angle gargoyles. South entrance of pointed arch with nook shafts under head-stopped drip mould; upper stages have 2-light window, clock set in round stone surround in 2-light opening, 2-light belfry opening and quatrefoil bands. Chancel has 4-light east window with bar tracery; north porch has east door in chamfered pointed arch under cusped triangular window, and 2-light window at right. Steeply pitched roofs. Interior: round piers to double-chamfered 4-bay nave arcades; walls plastered to boarded dado: arch-braced roof on flower-decorated corbels. Memorials: priest's stall, Frosterley marble steps and terrazzo in front of chancel, and chancel screen, 1899 to Reverend M. Green; 1902 pulpit to South African War and Coronation of Edward VII; Boer War brass tablet in south aisle. First World War memorial font; Second World War memorial tablet.

Listing NGR: NZ1843663381

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303788
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/249160
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/249203
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/249157
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/249180
War Memorials Online, accessed 16 August 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/249194
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/42069
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/42068
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/42065
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/42066
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/42057

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15605/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].